You can add to the professional development post by commenting below or emailing the library.
Read – professional reading
Available from the library database
- Chen, J. A., Owens, M. D., Browne, K. C., & Williams, E. C. (2018). Alcohol-related and mental health care for patients with unhealthy alcohol use and posttraumatic stress disorder in a National Veterans Affairs cohort. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 85, 1-9.
- Cunningham, M., Stapinski, L., Griffiths, S., & Baillie, A. (2017). Dysmorphic Appearance Concern and Hazardous Alcohol Use in University Students: The Mediating Role of Alcohol Expectancies. Australian Psychologist, 52 (6), 424-432.
- Gair, S., & Baglow, L. (2017). Australian Social Work Students Balancing Study, Work, and Field Placement: Seeing it Like it Is. Australian Social Work, 1-12.
Powers, J. R., Loxton, D., Anderson, A. E., Dobson, A. J., Mishra, G. D., Hockey, R., & Brown, W. J. (2018). Changes in smoking, drinking, overweight and physical inactivity in young Australian women 1996–2013. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 28(3), 255-259.
Thompson, K., & van Vliet, P. (2018). Critical Reflection on the Ethics of Mindfulness. Australian Social Work, 71(1), 120-128.
- Bond, K. S., Chalmers, K. J., Jorm, A. F., Kitchener, B. A., & Reavley, N. J. (2015). Assisting Australians with mental health problems and financial difficulties: a Delphi study to develop guidelines for financial counsellors, financial institution staff, mental health professionals and carers. BMC Health Services Research, 15(1), 218.
- Dworkin, E. R., Wanklyn, S., Stasiewicz, P. R., & Coffey, S. F. (2018). PTSD symptom presentation among people with alcohol and drug use disorders: Comparisons by substance of abuse. Addictive Behaviors, 76, 188-194.
Shepherd, S. M., Delgado, R. H., Sherwood, J., & Paradies, Y. (2018). The impact of indigenous cultural identity and cultural engagement on violent offending. BMC Public Health, 18(1), 50.
Renzetti, C. M., Lynch, K. R., & DeWall, C. N. (2018). Ambivalent sexism, alcohol use, and intimate partner violence perpetration. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 33(2), 183-210.
- Szabo, A., Griffiths, M. D., Høglid, R. A., & Demetrovics, Z. (2018). Drug, nicotine, and alcohol use among exercisers: Does substance addiction co-occur with exercise addiction?. Addictive Behaviors Reports, 7, 26-31.
Open access online journal
Open access textbook
Hepatitis SA Library for resources and information on hepatitis
Open access resources for health sciences from Curtin University
e-Book of the month
Bhatia, S. C., Petty, F., & Gabel, T. (2017). Substance and Nonsubstance Related Addiction Disorder: Diagnosis and Treatment. [S.l.]: Bentham Science Publishers Ltd.
An accessible handbook about the two main types of addiction disorders. It is divided into three sections which cover 1) the scientific underpinnings of addiction disorders (neurobiology, addiction neural reward pathways, genetic and psychosocial basis of addiction, screening and treatment), 2) information about substances commonly used by addicts (pharmacology, diagnostics and treatment considerations) and 3) current understandings of the diagnosis and treatment of behavioral problems (such as gambling), respectively. Key features: covers both substance abuse and behavioral problems uses a reader friendly format with a patient education handout style includes key learning points listed in each chapter -includes clinical vignettes which outline brief history, evaluation, diagnostic considerations with successful pharmacological, psychological and social interventions -includes references in each chapter disorders. (copied from the EBSCO database)
Free to download for all HOA staff from the library catalogue on work computers
National comorbidity guidelines free online training and website
The training program consists of 10 training modules that can be completed in any order. Registrants can choose which modules to engage in based on interest and experience. Those wishing to receive a certificate of completion must complete all modules (in any order) and successfully complete all quizzes.
At the end of each module, registrants will be presented with a quiz. All questions must be answered correctly before the module is completed, but there is no limit to how many times the quiz can be taken. Incorrect answers will refer participants to relevant sections of the Guidelines website.
At the completion of all modules, training participants will receive a certificate of completion.
Journal club TBA
Attend – conferences
Australia and New Zealand Addiction Conference, 28-30 May 2018 at QT Gold Coast
This conference will cover a range of topics including prevention, treatment, systematic responses, behaviours, mental health and harm reduction in relation to all types of addiction. The program will include emerging trends and the various addictive habits of alcohol and other drugs, gambling, internet, sex, gaming, food, shopping, pyromania, kleptomania.
Cost from $500-1000. Register here
Write – presentations and papers
Are you thinking of getting your work published in an academic journal? Read these tips of what not to do from a large publisher.
Call for abstract submissions for the Australia and New Zealand Addiction Conference. It can be in the form of a 3o minute presentation, a poster presentation or a panel presentation on one of the conference topics. Closing date 05/02/2018. More details are available here.
Listen – podcasts, webinars
NueRA talks: a series of free online seminars which bring information on neuroscience research. Examples include:
- Living loving schizophrenia
- The neuroscience of resilience to stress
Insight presentation recordings available now on YouTube
Assessed learning – short courses, certificates, diplomas, bachelors, post-grad
Strengths based practice: This workshop will provide participants with the chance to practice strength based skills:
Date: 22/02/2018, 09:00-16:30
Location: Lighthouse Resources Upstairs Training Room Kyabra Street RUNCORN, QLD. 4113
Cost: $240. Register here
Lighthouse Resources run a number of other workshops